3.02.2011

Ulandi is turning 20

It was around April 1991 that ULANDI was created. The caricature was born during the Summer Arts Festival held at the University of the Philippines in the Visayas - Miag-ao Campus. I joined the arts camp for Print-Making which was facilitated by Fil dela Cruz (hope i remembered his name correctly). In one session, I thought of creating an image or caricature that I would use as my "seal" whenever I create an artwork. Eventually the graphic image became Ulandi, aptly named after me of course. The name Ulandi, comes from my real name when translated to Hiligaynon (local dialect in Iloilo). It was well appreciated by my artist friends. With this pseudo name I had an art exhibit together with my schoolmates in UPV-Maig-ao. It was kind of successful because the Dean of Students at that time (Nats Samson) bought one of my favorite artwork.


As the years went by, ULANDI became a social animal - literally. He now had friends (drawings will follow, still have to handle a month of law school). I created 2 more caricatures of my best buddies when i was in UPV. They were named PHATSO and KOOLASS. But because the real world set upon me after graduating, the artist in me also faded away - but not entirely. This site is the thing that keeps me going, what keeps Ulandi going. Hopefully more artistic things will happen to this site, after ULANDI's 20th anniversary.


For now, i will try to gather all the graphics i have of Ulandi and eventually post it here. Till then...

Featured post

Property: Immovable and Movable Case Doctrines