Choosing the venue for my Public Legal practicum was not easy. What public legal office would help me see the application of law in a different perspective and at the same time appreciate it even more? The variation I wanted was to be out of the confines of a law office. Never did I imagine that the one I chose was literally that.
My practicum in PEMO was not life changing. It was an eye-opener. The experience was not the typical law office work. It was mostly field work and attending meetings, seminars and hearings. The most interesting part was when I conducted a segment in a seminar whose participants were farmers. I explained to them the basic structure of the three branches of our government and how it is related to their role as Bantay Bukid volunteers.
The challenge was not just to let them know of the importance of protecting our environment but to empower them with knowledge about their constitutional rights as citizens in furtherance of our fight against illegal activities which directly affect their source of livelihood as well. I explained the concept in a way that they will understand and appreciate it. It was also emphasized that they are the front liners in the struggle to protect the environment. It had to begin from them, it had to begin in the grass roots level.
What was fascinating was the reflection of eagerness to understand and know these important information which to some in the urban areas, even though knowledgeable are sometimes aloof in appreciating such.
It was time well spent. I am happy I did my share in protecting our environment and I plan to continue this advocacy.