Classroom sessions and experiencing actual practice have its own degree of importance in the study of law. The challenge for me is combining the two to come up with a fairly effective practical solution.
The experience I had in the private law office was enlightening. It opened up a window and allowed me to see the real intricacies of the Law Profession. Being assigned to read on cases, research on applicable provisions of law, contemplating on the effectiveness of the information procured to the actual circumstances of the client and submitting to the lawyer requesting it is nerve racking but rewarding. Once or twice I failed to properly analyze the circumstances leading me to provide inapplicable jurisprudence and wrong provisions of law. I was advised and taught by the lawyers to expound my perception of the law and not limit it to one point of view. After that, things went smoothly. I was engrossed with research. Upon learning the craft, I submitted research materials that were either applicable or right on the spot. It was very fulfilling and I enjoyed doing it.
The practical exercise inculcated in me that nothing is more important than doing a good research in preparing for a case. In-depth knowledge of substantial and remedial law is indeed a need. If I did not have enough knowledge of the law, I would have been lost in my research because I would not know what to look for and which would apply to a certain given circumstance.
The time I had with the law firm was very productive and truly inspirational. I was happy doing it – and that's what mattered most.